Diversity: All children benefit from learning about life around the world, and from working alongside others who are both similar to and different from themselves.
Community: Schools and communities are enhanced when schooldistricts, administrators, teachers, parents, children, and members of the local community work together.
- Project-based learning and emergent curriculum that incorporates student questions, ideas, plans, and research
- Curriculum meets all state and district academic standards
- Multiple ways to express knowledge and assess learning
- Parent and community member involvement and education
- Global perspectives and multiculturalism
- Collaborative activities and a non-competitive environment
- Positive discipline and conflict resolution skills
- Regular opportunities to engage in physical activities, visual and performing arts, and with nature
- Multi-age grouping in small classes
- On-going collaboration between teachers and SSU faculty